Moving Tips - Overview Checklist. Change of Address Checklist. Packing Tips. Moving House Plants. Moving Garden Plants. Moving Pets. About Moving Companies. Protecting the Environment. Moving Overview Checklist... One Month Before Moving.
Moving Companies - A selection of worldwide moving companies for domestic and commercial moves. Make your move as easy as possible and stress free. Here you will find tips and advise for people and business's.
Moving Checklist. Moving checklists can save time and money when moving. Let's not forget the benefit of peace of mind at such a potentially stressful time.
When relocating, there's so much to do! Sometimes it's hard to know what to tackle first. A moving checklist presents a clear timetable and outlines your next tasks at each step.
This example checklist is provided by Relocation Central see the links for a direct link.
One Month Before Moving
- Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill out:
- Friends and family
- Insurance companies
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers - cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers - transfer drug prescriptions
- Take a look around the house. Start to think about what
you don't want to take with you.
- Use up perishable foods
- Sell, donate or hold a garage sale for unwanted items
- Prepare a list of what you want to move.
- Large appliances?
- Outside furniture?
- For full service moves:
- What items won't they move?
- Get appraisals of high-value items in case of future claims
- For do-it-yourself moves, make arrangements for truck, storage,
rental and moving help, and buy packing supplies:
- Packing and masking tape
- Start packing boxes. Mark boxes clearly as to contents
and room to be placed in. Mark "Open First" clearly on boxes
containing important items to be unpacked first:
- Pots and pans
- Alarm clock
- Special toys
- Tools - hammer, pliers, wrench
- Stop by and make arrangements for picking up your important records:
- Optician, optometrist
- School - make sure you get one with a raised seal
- Close out your bank accounts:
- Safe Deposit Box
- Start a new bank account in your new town.
- Transfer account from current bank?
- Contact your child's new school and notify them of your
upcoming move to their area.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce in your new town or city. Request
a relocation package.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Pack your vital documents in one place:
- Military records
- Mortgage records
- Marriage license
- Birth certificates
- Vehicle titles
- Stock certificates
- Insurance papers
- Bank records
- School records
- Medical records
- Tax records
- Make arrangements to disconnect your utilities. Get refunds
for any deposits made. Have meters read. Give new address
for them to send their final bill:
- Cable - return box if necessary
- Internet access
- Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new residence.
- Make arrangements for cleaning
- Inquire about your new state's auto licensing procedure
and auto insurance rates.
- Check with your insurance company about transferring coverage
to your new home.
- Arrange to have a sitter watch your children at their
house on moving day.
One Week Before Moving
- Dispose or drain any flammable items:
- Lawn mower gas
- Snow blower gas
- Aerosol cans
- Plan what goes in the car with you:
- Toys and games for kids
- Special breakable items or collections
- Important documents and records
- Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day
- Vacuum cleaner - if you want to clean right away
- Toilet paper
- First aid kit
- Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
- Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
- Purchase moving insurance if you have valuable antiques
- Have your car tuned up.
The Day Before Moving
- Defrost, clean and air out your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Make sure you have payment ready for the mover - they will
not unpack without a check. Check your moving company's
- Purchase traveler's checks for other possible expenses.
- Pack your former town's phone book for future correspondence.
- Get a simple breakfast ready for the next morning.
- Pick up ice and beverages for moving day.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Get a good night's sleep!
- Strip your beds.
- Moving company - will they disassemble?
- Show movers around. Make sure your possessions to be
moved are inventoried with them.
- Write "subject to further inspection for concealed loss
or damage" on contract when you sign to protect yourself
should you find damage while unpacking.
- Get all keys together. Put in a safe spot.
- Make sure moving van driver has correct address, phone
number and directions. Confirm delivery date with him.
- Check all rooms one last time. Remember closets and
cupboards, basement and garage! Make sure all windows and
doors are locked.
Moving Out - Always a big step for any individual, family or business. Here you will find help and information on moving out.
- Apartment Search, Rental Furniture - RelocationCentral - Apartments for Rent in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Grand Rapids, Minneapolis, Kansas City. www.relocationcentral.com
- We offer a free collection service to any customer planning to store for more than 6 months. Store items and belonings on a short time span while moving or relocating. www.storing.com
- The Relocation Wizard. Use this tool to better manage your move. Answer a few basic questions and you'll get a personalized list that directs you step-by-step through the moving process. Just print it out and work your way down to keep your cool.
- Here's a handy checklist to print out and stick on your refrigerator as you count down the days until the big move. www.movinghints.com
- The following guides will assist you in your new home search. Homes Magazine features comprehensive listings of over 1,300 new home and condominium developments throughout Southern Ontario, accompanied by exclusive colour-coded map guides and offers useful home buying information.
- Moving Checklist, Moving Tips & Guides - All-Moving.com is one of the leading Moving and Relocation Sites on the net. Our goal is to provide the 40 million people moving each year a fast and easy way to find Movers, Auto Transport, Real Estate Agents, Mortgage and more.